Alberta Employment Standards
Albertas Standards are legal minimum standards in the workplace for employers and employees. In Alberta, our employment standards are defined in the Employment Standards Code and the Employment Standards Regulation. These laws have established minimum standards of employment for:
- Payment of Earnings
- Minimum Wage
- Hours of Work, Rest Periods, and Days of Rest
- Overtime and Overtime Pay
- Vacations and Vacation Pay
- General Holidays and General Holiday Pay
- Maternity and Parental Leave
- Termination of Employment
- Employees Under Age 18
Throughout the year there are a number of official holidays. Most full-time workers get a day off work on each holiday, with pay. Those who are required to work on holidays get a special holiday wage for that day.
For more information about holidays:
- Alberta Government - Employment and Immigration lists all general holidays in Alberta, as well as employment standards code for observance/holiday pay.
- Government of Canada lists all statutory holidays in Canada. It also has links to interesting anniversaries of historical interest.
Employment Standards Contact Centre: 780.427.3732 (Edmonton area) or 1.877.427.3731 (Toll-free)