Arts and culture are front and centre in our bustling metropolis: you'll find a vibrant music, theatre and dance scene, all bolstered by a cultural commitment that truly makes Edmonton stand out.
Downtown Arts District
The Downtown Arts District, in the heart of Edmonton's urban core, is where you'll find one of the strongest focal points on the arts.
• Francis Winspear Centre for Music - Warm acoustics and stylish architecture set the stage for a vast array of fine performances from around the world.
• Citadel Theatre - The country’s largest and busiest regional theatre with a mix of live performances.
• Art Gallery of Alberta - Focused on the development and presentation of original exhibitions of contemporary and historical art from Alberta, Canada and around the world.
• City Hall - Listen for the 23-bell carillon or enjoy a meal at Kids in the Hall restaurant.
• Shaw Conference Centre - Check out this award winning venue for concerts, meetings, conventions and trade shows.
• Metro Cinema - Enjoy the year round screenings of classic documentaries and an array of international independent films at the historic Garneau Theatre.
The Edmonton region is home to over 60 art galleries that will stimulate and intrigue your visual senses.
• 124 Street Area - Visit a variety of eclectic shops, galleries, fine restaurants and live theatre.
• Alberta Craft Council - You’ll find distinctive works crafted by more than 200 members.
• The Dow Centennial Centre - Fort Saskatchewan is home to visual and performing arts and the Fort Saskatchewan Pottery Guild.
Visit Alberta Culture for a useful list for galleries in Edmonton, St. Albert, Sherwood Park, Spruce Grove and Stony Plain.
The first gallery walk of its kind in Canada was formed in 1981 to promote both art and artists of merit within the community, focusing especially on work by Canadian artists. The member galleries are located in a 12-block area just west of the downtown core in the 124 Street area. There are two gallery walks organized each spring and fall; however, visitors can conduct their own Gallery Walk at any time. Member galleries are listed below.
• Bugera Gallery Inc - Features a large collection of original contemporary paintings such as landscapes, abstracts and still life in oil, acrylic, watercolour and also bronze and steel sculptures.
• Bearclaw Gallery - Carries a diverse selection of Canadian Aboriginal art including traditional Native and Inuit arts and crafts, original paintings, sculptures, masks and carvings.
• Daffodil Gallery - Is an exciting new art gallery voted Best Private Art Gallery in Edmonton in Vue Weekly's Best of 2012 poll. With a laid back atmosphere, they feature some of Alberta's best art.
• Electrum Design Studio - "Where fine jewellery and art meet." Fine gems and one-of-a-kind jewellery in an art gallery setting that features work by emerging and established Alberta artists.
• The Front Gallery - Features a variety of artists from Alberta and throughout Canada that are emerging, mid-career or already established in the art scene with a focus on local talent.
• Peter Robertson Gallery - Represents a roster of over 30 emerging, mid-career, and leading Canadian artists, with a wide range of media and subject matter.
• Scott Gallery - Features contemporary Canadian fine art, and exhibitions devoted to gallery artists whose works are recognized for their expressiveness, personal vision and staying power.
• SNAP (Society of Northern Alberta Print-Artists) - Dedicated to the promotion of both traditional and experimental printmaking practices including prints, artists' books, posters and print-based installation as well as new, experimental and hybrid forms.
• West End Gallery - Known for discovering and presenting the finest examples of art from a broad spectrum of Canadian paintings, one-of-a-kind sculptures and contemporary glass art works.