Dancing and entertainment are just a few of the reasons why excitement abounds in this region. Don’t let the snow keep you indoors! There are plenty of options for a fun-filled evening.
Located close to the University of Alberta is Old Strathcona’s most popular avenue - 82nd Avenue, or “Whyte” as it is commonly referred to. It is a favorite destination of many late night entertainment seekers. Whyte Avenue comes to life with more than 100 fine pubs and eateries offering a variety of great music for dancing or lounging. Dance the night away or catch some live Celtic music. You might need another night to check out the award winning Cook County Saloon—one of the best country clubs in Canada. Blues on Whyte offers billiards and jazz music in the historic Commercial Hotel building where big names are born. No matter where you go, on this people friendly street, you are sure to have an exciting evening.
Billiards Club, 8230 10505 Whyte Avenue.
Blues on Whyte, 10058 82 Ave
Cook County Saloon, 8010 Gateway Blvd.
Funky Buddha, 10341 82 Ave.
Just the Tip, 8230 Gateway Blvd
Lucky 13, 10551 82 Ave.
The Old Strathcona Rack, 10544 Whyte Ave.
The Pawn Shop, 10551 82 Ave.
Twist Ultra Lounge, 10324 82 Ave. Blues on Whyte, 10058 82 Ave
Lounges & Pubs:
- Black Dog Freehouse, 10425 82 Ave.
- Devlin’s Cocktail Lounge 10507 82 Ave.
- Hudsons Taphouse, 10307 82 Ave.
- O’Byrnes Irish Pub, 10616 82 Ave.
- Savoy 10401 82 Ave.
- Squires, 10505 - 82 Ave.
- Walkabout Pub, 10439 82 Ave
Downtown’s busiest strip has an eclectic nightlife. Nightclubs bustle with young people dancing as the DJ spins the season’s hottest tracks. Enjoy a martini and a good conversation in a mellow and sophisticated setting. Several pubs offer delicious food, good music and great ambience with their doors open into the early morning hours.
Nightclubs & Live Bands:
- Halo, 10538 Jasper Ave.
- Level 2 Lounge, 11607 Jasper Ave.
- Oil City Roadhouse, 10736 Jasper Ave.
- Play Nightclub, 10220 103 St.
- The Bank Ultra Lounge, 10765 Jasper Ave.
- The Starlight Room, 10030 102 St.
- The Treasury, 10004 Jasper Ave.
- Vinyl Retro Dance Lounge, 10740 Jasper Ave. (Above Oil City Roadhouse)
Lounges & Pubs:
- 4th & Vine Wine Bar & Bistro 11358 104 Ave.
- Ceili’s Irish Pub and Restaurant, 10338 109 St.
- Fluid Lounge, 10888 Jasper Ave.
- Moriarty’s Bistro & Wine Bar 10154 100 St.
- New City Lounge, 10081 Jasper Ave.
- Overtime Downtown, 10335 111 St.
- Pub 1905, 10525 Jasper Ave.
- Sherlock Holmes, 10012 101A Ave.
- Suede Lounge, 11806 Jasper Ave.
- The Druid, 11606 Jasper Ave.
Learn more about Jasper Avenue through the stories of people who've experienced it on edmontonstories.ca.
- Baccarat Casino, 10128 104 Ave.
- Casino Yellowhead, 12464 153 St.
- Century Casino, 13103 Fort Road
- Gold Dust Casino, 24 Boudreau Rd, St. Albert
- Palace Casino, West Edmonton Mall
- River Cree Resort & Casino, corner of Whitemud Drive & Winterburn Road
Edmonton offers several dinner theatres to choose from. Enjoy a scrumptious dinner while watching a play.
- Mayfield Dinner Theatre, 16615 109 Ave. 780.483.4051
- Jubilations Dinner Theatre, West Edmonton Mall. 780.484.2424
West Edmonton Mall
Known for it’s plethora of entertainment during regular store hours, West Edmonton Mall is home to ample nightlife as well. After dark many flock to “Bourbon Street”, reminiscent of Mardi Gras, this strip offers pubs and restaurants that satisfy all tastes as well as a comedy club to have you rolling in a fit of laughter. Come and see why the doors never close at the Greatest Indoor Show on Earth.
Take an eerie walk through Old Strathcona to hear true stories of ghosts, hauntings and the unknown. www.edmontonghosttours.com
While exploring the Glenora community, wander down the road to the Royal Alberta Museum, where the Edmonton Film Society presents classic movies on Monday nights. Or head downtown to the Citadel, where Metro Cinema (780.425.9212) screens independent films at Zeidler Hall (9828 101A Ave.). For more alternative films check out these two theatre landmarks; Garneau Theatre (780.433.0728) and the Princess Theatre (780.433.0728). Prefer the giant screen? Take in an IMAX film at TELUS World of Science – Edmonton or at West Edmonton Mall’s Scotiabank Theatre.
Catch a bite to eat and watch the sky with a loved one as the sun falls slowly into the horizon at the La Ronde (10111 Bellamy Hill, 780.420.8366), Edmonton’s revolving restaurant with a breathtaking view of our signature river valley. Or choose a rural scene, such as Elk Island National Park, where the sunset blushes and silhouettes against Astotin Lake.